Classic beef and broccoli is even better when made in cast iron.
- Makes: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- ¾ pound steak
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, optional, for flavor
- ⅓ cup water
- florets from 1 large broccoli head
- 1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- green onions and sesame seeds, to garnish
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- Cut steak into ¼-inch strips against the grain, and marinate in a bowl with ¼ cup soy sauce and baking soda. Set aside for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat cast iron mini wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine remaining soy sauce with cornstarch, then add garlic, ginger, sugar and sesame oil, whisking to make sauce.
- Drain steak and shake dry.
- Pour ⅓ cup water into the skillet and turn the heat to high. Add broccoli and steam until the water is gone or until the broccoli is cooked to your preference. Drain and set on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Add vegetable oil and swirl it around in the pan. Wait until it is smoking, then add steak. Do not move steak for 1 minute.
- Toss steak around the pan for 1 more minute. Remove from pan. Pour sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Return steak and toss with sauce until thickened.
- Return broccoli to the wok and quickly coat it in sauce. Serve immediately with thin sliced green onions and sesame seeds over rice.