Tasty chive biscuits can be eaten on their own or used as the base for a biscuit sandwich.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
- ⅔-1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add shortening and mix with a pastry blender or two forks until well combined and resembles small peas.
- Add buttermilk and chives. Stir until just combined. If mixture is too dry to hold a ball shape, add more buttermilk.
- When just combined, work gently on a floured surface with hands to make a 6-inch-by-10-inch rectangle. Place on baking sheet and score into 8 pieces.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, until deep golden. Remove from oven and brush tops with butter if desired.
Tips & Notes
Serve Easy Cold Fried Chicken on these biscuits for a delicious sandwich.