Perfect for a picnic, cold fried chicken is easy to transport.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, halved, or 8 large chicken tenders
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Lightly pound each piece of chicken to flatten. Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a bowl. Add chicken pieces and turn several times to coat.
- Whisk together all remaining ingredients except vegetable oil in another bowl. Heat oil to 350 degrees in a heavy skillet. Use a thermometer to maintain oil temperature.
- Remove chicken pieces, one at a time, from buttermilk mixture and allow excess liquid to drip off. Coat evenly in flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and place in oil.
- Fry several pieces of chicken at a time, turning when golden brown, until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain well on paper towels. Refrigerate overnight.
Tips & Notes
Serve this fried chicken on tasty Chive Biscuit Squares as a sandwich.