Skip prepackaged hot cocoa mix and make your own, then top with homemade marshmallows.
- Makes: 18 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per Serving (1 cup of 2% milk, 3 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 snowflake marshmallow): 379 calories, 9g fat, 5g saturated fat, 131mg sodium, 14g protein, 3g fiber, 20mg cholesterol, 69g carbohydrates, 63g sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa
- 3 ½ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups milk (1 cup per serving)
- To make hot cocoa mix, place the cocoa, sugar, and chocolate chips into a food processor with the blade attachment and process until smooth. This can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months.
- When ready to serve, scoop 3 tablespoons of the hot cocoa mix into a microwave-safe mug. Add 1 cup of milk, and stir to combine. Microwave on high 1 ½ to 2 minutes or until blended and hot, stirring once.
Tips & Notes
- Store extra hot cocoa mix in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
- Make the marshmallow batter the day before, which helps it firm up and be more cookie-cutter friendly.