These homemade Reese’s eggs are the perfect combination of creamy peanut butter center with a thick, rich chocolate covering making these the best Easter dessert! With only a handful of ingredients these chocolate eggs can be made quickly and easily even with the help of kids!
Oftentimes when people try something that is so good they immediately think that the recipe is going to be super intricate or complicated. Well let me share a little secret with you, this is by far one of the simplest and tastiest desserts you have yet to make. With these simple steps you will be whipping up dozens of these in no time. And a good thing too because they seem to disappear just as quickly as they are made!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1-2 bags milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- Beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter together. At this point the dough will be crumbly. Add two tablespoons of milk and continue to beat together until the dough softens. If the dough still seems crumbly that is ok.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to desired thickness. About 1/2 thickness. You can use egg cookie cutters or with a knife, shape the dough to look like eggs.
- Place eggs on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for an hour.
- When you are ready to dip them, add the chocolate and 1 Tbsp shortening in a microwave and melt 30 seconds at a time. Stirring it after every 30 seconds and being careful not to cook the chocolate to burn.
- Dip each egg in chocolate. I used a spoon to help cover in the chocolate. Place them on wax paper to set.
- If more chocolate is needed, melt the second bag with the shortening. Enjoy!
- *Makes approx. 20 eggs