A hearty, nutritious casserole, this dish uses any type of potatoes, fresh kale, scallions and two types of cheeses.
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: One cup of kale has 36 calories, 0 grams of fat and 20 percent of the recommended daily value of dietary fiber.
- 8 small potatoes (any type) unpeeled and sliced into thin rounds
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ¼ cups Gruyere cheese, chopped or crumbled
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 10 scallions (white and green parts), chopped
- 12 sprigs flat-leaf parsley (leaves and upper stems), coarsely chopped
- 8 small to medium leaves of Tuscan kale, ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread half the potatoes over the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, overlapping them. Generously grind pepper over potatoes.
- Distribute half the Gruyere over the potatoes. Slowly pour ¾ cup of the cream over the top. Sprinkle with half the scallions, half the parsley and half the kale.
- Repeat the layers – the rest of the potatoes, a grinding of pepper and the remaining Gruyere, cream, scallions, parsley and kale. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover the baking dish loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes more to brown Parmesan. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.