Salty olives, hearty sausage and mushrooms come together for a delicious pasta bake the whole family will love.
- Makes: 8 large servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: A half cup of cooked mushrooms contains only 20 calories.
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) whole-wheat penne, uncooked
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup trumpet mushrooms
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12-14 ounces fully cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut into ½-inch half-moon slices
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar thick pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Clean all mushrooms. Trim just 1/8-inch stem from trumpet mushrooms and cut into thick slices.
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add all sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly soft, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain liquid.
- While mushrooms cook, toss cooked penne, sausage, olives, Parmesan and 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese in large bowl. Stir in pasta sauce and whipping cream. Lightly stir in mushrooms and place in greased 3-quart casserole dish. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake additional 10 to 15 minutes until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.