Vanilla Cupcakes with vanilla frosting are such a classic treat for birthdays and perfect for any celebratory occasions. These moist cupcakes with their creamy crown of frosting will surely bring a smile to your face!
Vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting is a simple and classic flavor combo. You can add festive sprinkles to these cupcakes, tailored to the occasion you’re celebrating.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz unsalted butter 3 sticks, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A big pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir with a whisk to distribute evenly. Set aside.
- Add sour cream, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract to a medium bowl. Beat together with a whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredient mixture and fold until just combined.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly into 12 cupcake cavities.
- Bake in the middle oven rack for 16-17 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to the touch, remove cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the frosting
- Add butter, powdered sugar, cream, vanilla and salt to the stand mixer bowl. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients, then turn the mixer on high speed and beat until the frosting is white and fluffy, about 10-15 minutes.
Assemble the cupcakes
- Add a piping tip of your choice to a pastry bag, fill bag with frosting, and pipe frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with sprinkles if desired.